Saturday, December 02, 2006

My Fuddy-Duddy Food Dude of the Yeer





I am nominating Daddy for the Dude of the Yeer Award.

My name is Luxor.

I’m not quite sure what “fuddy-duddy” means, but I’ve heard Mom call Dad that on occasion, so I think it’s what is known as a “term of endearment.”

That’s what Daddy is to me: dear. I can tell by the expression on his face when he looks at me that I’m someone special to him. His eyes crinkle up at the corners and the sides of his lips go upward also, so I can see his teeth. But that doesn’t mean he would ever bite me. He talks to me like I understand exactly what he’s saying, which of course I do, being a cat.

He drove one whole day to get me when I was but a baby, and then after spending the night in Yuma, Arizona (temperature: 1,001 degrees), he drove another whole day to take me to my new home with him and mom in this place called New Mexico. Mom didn’t drive, even for a minute, and he was so tired, but not too tired to talk nicely to me and pet me before he went to sleep. Even then his eyes were getting all crinkly, and he hardly knew me yet!

Then one day I was trying to sneak into the bathroom while he was closing the door and my little rat tail got caught in it! I screamed so loud that Mom came running, and Daddy got down on the floor with me, saying, “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry,” over and over. When Mom pointed out that a little fluff of my white hair was missing, he nearly cried. It grew back and everything turned out fine, but he still gets upset when he and Mom start talking about "... when Luxie was a kitten and his tail got caught in the bathroom door ..."

See, he’s very kind to me. In the mornings when Mom sleeps late and I’m going to keel over if I don’t eat RIGHT NOW, he notices and opens one of those stinky goodness cans, just for me. Sometimes my sisters try to muscle in, but he makes sure his Big White Boy gets enough, because it takes a lot of energy being me, getting into mischief and performing such chores as chasing my sister Silky up the cat tree. Being a guy, he understands these sorts of things and can relate.

Sometimes I get so excited when I see him I just can’t stand still. I prance around, flexing all my toes, and Daddy knows he’s supposed to lean over so I can lick him on his roundish, almost bald head. It makes him laugh, and I love to make Daddy laugh. Besides, I feel sorry for him that he only has a few whiskers on his face left and all the rest of his fur fell out. He probably gets really cold when he goes outside.

In the evenings when he reads a book in bed, he lets me come in and settle down next to him. Mom’s not allowed in there during these times. She stays in the rest of the house with my sisters, while Dad and I just lie there quietly, enjoying each other’s company. It’s a male bonding-type thing, I guess.

I hope you can understand now why my fuddy-duddy Dad is the best dude in the whole neighborhood … the whole city, no - the whole world! Because he just is!

Trust me on this,
Luxor


Link to my blog :
http://awhitecat.blogspot.com

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that story was as sweet and cute as the picture!

12/03/2006 05:03:00 PM  
Blogger Frend of Skeezix said...

dat wuz a verree nice storee ... an a grate pikshur.
i think yer dad mite need a yankee cap to keep hiz head warm. i know mi dad duz!
luv--jh

12/03/2006 07:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luxor ... You are furry lucky and your daddy certainly deserves to win Food Dude of the Year ...
DaisyMae Maus

12/16/2006 10:21:00 PM  
Blogger KC and the Giggleman Kitties said...

o, Luxor, i luved urs story 'bout your Daddie. u's kin tell from tha pickshure how much u luvs him.

u's such a grrrreat guy, Lux.

'n u 'n urs fambly is lucky to haf each otfer.

12/16/2006 10:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWW he sounds lovely

12/17/2006 12:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You's furry lucky to haf such a grate Daddy, Luxor!!! Yay for your Daddy!
Purrrrrrrrrrrrrs

12/17/2006 12:54:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luxor, I luved yoor story and foto! I am glad yoo haf such a grate daddie.

12/17/2006 05:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you all for saying nice things about my daddy - I'll have to tell him so his eyes can get all crinkly!

12/17/2006 09:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a hard time choosing my second vote, because everyone nominated is a winner in my book, but this is it: Ariel's Mommy.

12/23/2006 01:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Wow" lux thanks so much.

12/23/2006 09:17:00 AM  
Blogger Skeezix the Cat said...

Posting on Behalf of Icon Baxter-Bentley:

"Hi Luxor! I think that is a wonderful description of the "Fuddy Duddy" Even through I love my mammacat a LOT, I can totally relate to how nice it is doing 'guy stuff'. The picture of you two is especially adorable.
From your friend, Icon"

12/23/2006 01:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks much, Icon! But I'm wondering how it came about that Skeezix posted for you ... very mysterious!

Happy Holidays to all!

12/23/2006 11:09:00 PM  
Blogger Jake and Bathsheba said...

Lux, you certainly enjoy a special relationship with your "fuddy-duddy." We like your picture!

~J&B

12/24/2006 08:06:00 PM  
Blogger Tommy and Teaghan said...

Dat really is the bestest picshur efur.

12/26/2006 12:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home